Valentine’s Day is a time to celebrate love in all its forms. But many people forget that this includes self-love. While the notion of practicing self-love is becoming more and more mainstream, many people still overlook it when this holiday rolls around each year.
What Is Self Love?
Self-love can sound like an abstract, subjective concept. Even the Merriam-Webster dictionary has a few different definitions of it:
- an appreciation of one’s own worth or virtue
- proper regard for and attention to one’s own happiness or well-being
- inflated love of or pride in oneself
With many different definitions and ideas surrounding the term, it can be tough to understand what it looks like.
The truth is that self-love can be different for everyone. Taking care of yourself or doing things that express your values might mean something completely different to different people.
For some, it might mean doing something that brings you joy, like taking a yoga class or going for a walk in nature. Or it might mean giving yourself time to rest and relax, like taking a hot bath or reading your favorite book.
This Valentine’s Day, show love for yourself and appreciation for the love that surrounds you in whatever simple self-care activities bring you joy, rest, or relaxation. Here are a few ideas to get started!
5 Ways You Can Celebrate Self Love
- Take yourself on a date. Whether it’s going out to eat, seeing a movie, or taking a walk around your neighborhood, take some time for yourself and enjoy your own company.
- Indulge in your favorite activity. Whether it’s reading, painting, hiking, biking, etc., do something that brings you joy and happiness.
- Treat yourself to a massage. Taking some time for yourself to relax and be taken care of is always a good idea. Plus, when it comes to activities like massage, it can actually induce a physiological relaxation response in the body. This can be a great way to physically relieve stress from your body.
- Take a hot bath with your favorite book or podcast. Add some candles, bubbles, and salts to make it extra special.
- Rest, recharge, or take a nap. Sometimes the best way to take care of ourselves is to just relax and let our minds and bodies rest. Take a day off, put on your favorite pajamas, and spend the day lounging around.
When people think of Valentine’s Day, they often associate it with the love between two people. However, Valentine’s Day isn’t just for couples. Many people often overlook that this holiday can be a great opportunity to celebrate self-love.
Self-love doesn’t have to be complicated or expensive. It can be as simple as any of the activities listed above. The most important thing is to find what works for you and to make time for yourself. So this Valentine’s Day, give yourself the gift of self-love! You deserve it.
If you’re looking to include massage in your self-love day, view our schedule here to book your appointment.